For understanding the need for new mobile applications, we need to have some of the global facts clear:
- As of March 2017, there were 2.8 million Android apps and more than 2.2 million apps in Apple’s App store
- A typical person spends five hours per day on their mobile device
- A person on average launches 9 apps per day
- An average person has approximately 90 apps on their mobiles
With figures this staggering, it’s no surprise that mobile app development companies feel the pressure to launch a mobile app every now and then – sometimes, going way over their budgets. This crunch in the budget has prompted many companies to opt for White label Apps.
With the trend of Mobile application taking rounds in the business market, it has become necessary for companies to have their immediate reach to every customer. That can be done through mobile apps only and companies recognize this need. But not all have the time and resources to invest in a custom-made application and thus, they go for White Label apps which sometimes have a module system to select from, and that’s the only customization they get.
What are White label apps?
White label mobile apps refer to generic application framework which can be customized with your company name, logo and product or service information. You may have limited control or no control over the app’s features, functions, layout, design, and other elements. Mobile apps in this category are usually basic; you’re not going to get an innovative, cutting-edge interface with a highly-refined user interface (UI). (Reference)
The ‘Customization” of the app is where you lose. The developer asks you to pay an initial set-up fee and then monthly allowances to keep the app running. A large portion white label apps are aimed at the e-commerce niche, and in this case, you are also expected to pay a percentage of your monthly profits along with the fixed allowance. And instead of the perplexing amount of fee, white label developers expect the clients to configure and set up the app themselves. Using a client portal, you essentially fill in the blanks by inputting your company logo, text, and products. Some may also let you choose “skins,” layouts and color pallets from premade options.
Problems faced in White Label App:
- Most white label applications are hybrid, that means they are not designed for a particular operating system or device. They can be used on multiple platforms and hence they lack the precision and quality of a customized app.
- Most White label apps are simple and straightforward, so the impact of the app’s usefulness is diminished.
- In case of Customization, the developers charge you an exorbitant amount for small changes.
- The source code always remains with the developer, so you can never truly own an application.
- The developer can anytime decide to raise the monthly fee and you’d have no say in it if you want to continue using their services.
Comparing White label Apps with Custom-made mobile apps:
There is a universe of difference between a white label app and an app developed from the root and customized as per your business model. With the white label app, you are limited to the features the developer has to offer.
Taking White label apps another notch up, some developers create ‘Module” system where you can select the modules, you want to include in your application, with every module costing a specific amount.
In case of in-app updates, the client is dependent upon the updates provided in the developer’s time frame and ease. Your users may find these updates useful but they will still not include the specific pain-points of the users that need to be addressed.
Over and above all of this, some of these applications do not meet the guidelines provided by Apple’s App Store. And this makes you limited in case of Application distribution channels. And therefore, establishing a reliable customer base might become a difficulty.
In conclusion, if you need a basic application with basic app features, it is safe to go for white label applications. But anything more sophisticated and high end requires a lot more than just the basics.
Advantages of Custom App development:
- Built specifically for your idea: They are designed you accommodate your idea in entirety. You will be a part of every step of the decision making the Application will be according to your vision of it.
- Minimal Problem: Since a custom business application is built in accordance with your requirements from the very beginning, there are fewer complications which arise at the later stages.
- Quicker ROI = Lower costs: Since Custom-built apps are made in accordance with the guidelines of various App stores, you will be able to reach a wider audience. Wider audience means more downloads and a quicker return on investment.
- Better business security: Unlike Readymade apps which are used by a number of businesses, custom-made applications will ensure that your business process remains private. You one the source code of the application and your word is taken as the final word in any scenario.
- Amazing technical support: The major most benefit you get from a custom built application is an efficient and reliable technical support.
Custom built apps can simplify your business and its processes. It increases productivity and is hands-down more reliable than any other medium of building an application.