The fascination of India with space exploration is growing intensely in the recent few decades and the programmes are also getting more ambitious with the passing of time. India has reached another milestone with a chandrayaan-2 mission launch. The mission included the deployment of the land rover on a lunar surface which was basically done for scientific measurements. You cannot deny the fact that technology is prospering and becoming intelligent. Lost are the days when it was artificial. The aspects of newly implemented technologies are far beyond what humans could have imagined.
Is there anyone who is yet to experience the impact of Artificial Intelligence? Nowadays there are numerous examples that we experience almost every minute of our lives. Right from asking Alexa to order Pizza for us or to unlock our phones with facial recognition to make a phone call. Everything works because of the integration of Artificial Intelligence.
Though it is not strange to believe that AI has successfully surpassed human lives and is reaching space. Space exploration by AI is a vast topic in itself. Human intelligence is needed to complement it so that it can effectively interpret the intricacies of space.
Role of AI in space Explorations
- Space exploration collects a huge amount of data which is next to impossible to be analyzed through human intelligence. This data is thus sorted and analyzed by Artificial Intelligence. It further helps to find lives on other planets. Different map patterns are tracked as well which is not possible by humans.
- Data received from the space is in the form of images. Humans cannot decode those images. AI critically helps to successfully decode them and extract needed information out of it. Machine Learning also comes into the picture here. Damage detection, determining the weather in the space, are all significantly done by AI and Machine Learning.
- The robots that are currently present on Mars are required to decide on certain topics without the help of some specific commands from Mission Control. All of this is possible only with Artificial Intelligenceapplications. The robot of NASA is able to avoid obstacles itself that come in between its way and decides the best path to travel.
- AI applications also help to know the geological makeup and historical significance of a planet. AI can also classify, send, and analyze images of the same planet and decide the best possible action with its help.
- Artificial Intelligence has a subset which is known as deep learning that is easily applied to automatic landing, intelligent decision-making and a few systems that are fully automated.
- It is also helpful to optimize several planetary tracking systems, enable transmission of smart data, and keep human error at bay significantly.
Artificial Intelligence is full of potential when it comes to space exploration. Artificial intelligence will prove to be a defining enabler in the space revolution. We have already seen so much because of Artificial Intelligence and there is much more than we can possibly imagine. The best thing about it is that AI is industry focussed.